My top ten travel experiences: No. 10 – Trekking in the Himalaya.

In the coming weeks I will be posting up my top ten travel experiences. I have many amazing memories, so needless to say it's difficult to pick just 10! These are the ones however which shine that little bit brighter! I will be posting them in chronological order. So, let's get started, all the way back in 2007!

10. April/May 2007 - Nepal: Jiri to Gokyo to Everest Base Camp trek.

I started in little visited Jiri at just under 2,000 metres and over the period of three weeks walked through a variety of different terrains and magical landscapes. Gokyo was especially amazing. Pictures simply don't do the area justice. Crossing Chola Pass, at over 5,500 metres was challenging alright, thankfully I had some friends to do it with. We encouraged each other on and eventually made it! Everest Base Camp, slightly over-rated perhaps, but a must see if on the trail. After climbing up Khola Ri and getting a early morning view of Everest it was time to head back down. I did so with Leon, a fellow traveller who I'm still in touch with. We done it fast, taking only two days. My feet were so badly blistered by the end that we had I had no choice but to fly out... An amazing few weeks up in the heavens! You can follow me and my feet from the start to the end of my trek here

8 Responses to “My top ten travel experiences: No. 10 – Trekking in the Himalaya.”

1. dad
    July 29, 2011 at 11:36 pm #

Freedom

2. Laure Selle
    August 20, 2011 at 11:25 am #

Beautiful scenery… What camera are you using?

3. August 21, 2011 at 4:19 pm #

When this was taken Laure I was just using a simple ‘touristy’ Cannon camera. Now however I carry a Nikon D200. A semi-professional, alot heavier, but totally worth it! 🙂

4. August 30, 2011 at 2:04 pm #

This looks beautiful! Looking forward to reading what your #1 experience was. =)

5. August 30, 2011 at 6:23 pm #

Well i’ve done it just by date.. So number one will be the most recent (and can’t really compete with the himalaya’s!) I love the mountains and really I think my time there is very close to being my favourite (stay tuned though for the rest!) 😉

6. October 24, 2011 at 12:12 pm #

I love alllll the pictures!!!! Lovely 🙂 I hope I can go there someday 🙂 Are you in China at the moment?I visited Eastern Tibet on July,love the view and nice people along the way

7. October 25, 2011 at 2:02 am #

Hi Sysila, yea I’ve recently arrived in China. I’ll be here for a year. I’m really enjoying it so far! 🙂 When I finish I’m going to head back overland and will consider passing through TIbet. Just annoying as you need permits and such but I reckon it will be amazing, though in reality many parts of China are more Tibetan now! You must head to Nepal though, it’s my favourite place in the world! 🙂 Glad you liked my pics 🙂

8. October 25, 2011 at 8:47 am #

Hi Sam, yes, your pictures are amazing! I have a plan to visit EBC but maybe not next year. I’ll go to Kashmir (hopefully) on March 🙂
    Yes, you need permit for Tibet Autonomous Region (TAR) but you don’t need any permit to visit Amdo and Kham region.Both are awesome! Hopefully you won’t meet any difficulties with Chinese language 😀 but it’s fun
    You can find info about Amdo or Kham Region here http://kekexili.typepad.com
    I went to Chengdu-Xining-Repkong-Labrang-Langmusi-Zoige. I supposed to visit Lhasa but it was closed at that time so I changed to route. The best part was I can visit those area without guide 🙂 but yes, it’s very hard to find someone who can speak English!
    Enjoy China!!!